Courses and Careers at KS4
Courses at Key Stage 4 Leading to an Accredited Qualification
Bower Grove School offers pupils a range of qualifications for different subjects that can be taken in key stage 4 (years 10 and 11). These include GCSEs and non-examination assessments (entry levels certificates and functional skills qualifications). The school works with a range of exam boards, including AQA, Pearson Edexcel, OCR, WJEC, and Trinity College London.
Current School Accreditation Offer
Year 10 pupils
- PE Entry Level Certificate (Entry Level 1,2 & 3)
- Arts Award in art or music (Bronze Level)
Year 11 pupils
- English Language (GCSE), Step Up to English (Silver or Gold)
- Mathematics (GCSE), Mathematics Entry Level Certificate (Entry Level 1,2 & 3)
- Double Science (GCSE), Science Entry Level Certificate (Entry Level 1,2 & 3) Further Science Entry Level Certificate (Entry Level 1,2 & 3)
- ICT Functional skills (Level 1 & 2, Entry Level 1,2 & 3)
- Art and Design: 3D (GCSE)
- Food Hygiene Certificate
- Arts Award in Art or Music (Silver Level)
Pupils at Bower Grove School receive a comprehensive careers education programme including work experience placements during year 10 and year 11. These aim to provide a balanced experience for a range of places of employment and career choices. Further information on Careers Education can be found by clicking on the following button.
Independent careers advice is available via the school during parents’ evenings. Additionally, the school subscribes to the Careersoft job explorer database (JED) that has careers information and advice on hundreds of prospective careers.
The JED website can be accessed by clicking on the button below and entering the access code supplied by a pupil's Careers Teacher.
Year 11 pupils attend a weekly college placement to give them an opportunity to experience education at a college setting for a range of vocational courses. This may help them to select a post-16 course. The short courses include carpentry, bricklaying, motor mechanics, hospitality, digital skills, hairdressing and barbering.
Independent travel training is also available for pupils.